We Sappers with common interests before the War, Forged a bond of comradeship during the War, Created our association so that now, As long as we are one, Not one of us will be alone, Before, During, Now, We will remember those, Whose names lie in our Hall.
Well before the end of the War, anticipating a post-war depression and consequently unemployment, certain senior officers evolved the idea an organisation to help re-habilitate members of the Corps on their return to civilian life. The Old Comrades Association was formally recognised as a Welfare Organisation on 22 November, being given the number WO 314. The inital subscribtion was £3:1:0 for life, payable over a period.
On 8 February, a formal constitution was adopted and the name was to the less cumbersome and more apt “Sappers Association”
On 7 December, the first issue of the “SA Sapper”, a magazine that was to be published for more that 50 years, was issued free to all Association Members.
On 7 June, the Western Province Branch in Cape Town was formed, the first of many branches to be formed throughout the Union (R.S.A.), S.W.A. (Namibia) and the Rhodesia’s (Zambia and Zimbabwe), under the Constitution of the parent body.
On 1 July, “Sappersrust”, an area of land on the north bank of the Magalies River (which flows into the Hartebeespoort Dam – near Pretoria) was acquired and became known as Sappersrust. Soon a fully equipped camp was set up, where Sappers who had been demobbed from the army were accommodated while being integrated back into a post-war society.
On 14 September, a split-pole and thatch shop, built near the river, was opened with a general dealers licence and served tea, cakes and sweets to enthusiastic Sappers who braved the dirt road to Sappersrust.
On 1 June, the first General Meeting of the Sappers Association (affectionately known as “Congress”) was held to elect the first non-military Board of Directors. Subsequent Congresses, consisting of Sappers representing the Branches throughout the Country, have meet annually to receive reports of Sapper activity during the year and to elect new Directors to deal with matters of policy.
As the initial roll for Sappersrust had been completed it was decided that these grounds should continue to be the focal point for Sappers veterans and that a club for our members would be established on these grounds. On 16 December, the first permanent structure, a cottage consisting of 3 linked rondavels was opened as a dining room serving simple meals to Sunday visitors.
On 4 December, the first nine rondavels and their communal ablution blocks were taken into use to accommodate the Sappers and their families that were to build the clubhouse and the luxury cottages (with individual bathrooms and hot running water) that were to follow.
At Congress on 2 May it was decided to compile a Roll of Honour of the S.A.E.C. to remember those Sappers that had paid the final price in the defence of their country and its ideals.
Work on the Clubhouse started and on 12 December Field-Marshal Smuts laid the Foundation Stone.
On 23 June, the “Sappers Club” was constituted and on 26 November General Ken Ray, the first President of the Club, formally opened the Sappers Clubhouse. The attractive two-story thatched building had been built by Sappers and Sapper orientated firms at nominal cost.
1950 / 51
Permission was granted to enshrine the S.A.E.C. Roll of Honour in St Paul’s Cathedral in London, together with the other Commonwealth Rolls (Not only Engineers) of both the 1914/18 and 1939/45 Wars. It was felt that a duplicate book should be kept in South Africa and on 3 September 1950 the designs for the Hall of Remembrance, the books resting place, at Sappersrust was approved.
On 10 December 1950, the first sod was turned on the site chosen on a koppie, backed by the noble Magaliesburg and over-looking the river valley. The building of the Hall was entrusted to a dedicated Sapper stonemason, who lived and worked on the spot for 18 months.
On 15 April 1951, Sapper JC McIntyre laid the foundation stone and underneath the stone, set in concrete is a sealed copper casket with a S.A.E.C. cap badge welded on the lid, containing a microfilm of contemporary records, photos of drawings and plans of the memorial, extracts from the SA Sapper magazine and other mementos.
At Congress on 4 May, the Sapper Creed that heads this brief history was adopted and has since been used to open all Congress, Board and Branch meetings.
The Congress was followed by a dedication ceremony for the Hall of Remembrance and the Roll of Honour was reverently placed in the casket where is still resided today. Thereafter, every year on the first Sunday of May, an anniversary ceremony (Annual Memorial Service) is held to honour the event and remember fallen comrades.
Every Sunday Morning at half past Nine a simple ceremony is performed during which a page of the roll is turned and a short silence observed. This has been done without break and still continues, every Sunday.
An internal battery-illuminated lamp, built into an old petrol can, and carrying the symbol of the Association was approved and has been used since as part of the ritual opening of formal meetings.
On 10 October, Sapperspriut was officially opened as a holiday resort with 3 Cottages and a renovated farm house for the Caretaker, where Sappers could enjoy swimming, fishing and drives into the surrounding country, for very reasonable costs.
On 9 March, Sappershoek was officially opened as a holiday resort with Cottages and a communal hall to be the home of the Eastern Cape Branch. Several retired Sappers were accepted as semi-permanent residents. This resort was later to be converted into a retirement centre with 26 cottages in line with the changing needs of Sappers in general.
In the early 60’s it was recognised that the years were passing and the need for looking after our ageing and retired Sappers would become No 1 priority eventually. The Sappers Creed was supplemented by adding the concept of “easing the burdens and brightening the lives of all our Sappers, as they grow older” – which thought adopted in 1977 as a pledge to form the closing ritual of all formal meeting of the Association.
“Nine Flames” – The SAEC Story, was completed and published, authored by a well-known and experienced journalist and author, supported by 78 Sapper sponsors, he delved into all available records and put on tape individual experiences and reminiscences from Sappers all over the Country. This publication is still available from our Head Office at Sappersrust.
The thought of caring for our older Sappers had been taking hold more over the past few years and in 1970 a combined committee was elected from the Sappers Association, the Gunners and the Southern Transvaal MOTHs to develop a retirement centre in Johannesburg. On 22 September, ‘G.E.M. Homes” was officially opened in Rooseveldpark, in the northern suburbs of Johannesburg, with 16 Flats, 68 Cottages, an office and a communal hall.
“Sapperhaven” was officially opened as a retirement centre for the Johannesburg Sappers, in Lombardy East also a northern suburb of Johannesburg, with 120 Cottages and a communal hall.
“GEM Village” was officially opened, as a joint venture retirement centre with the Gunners, in Irene in the southern suburbs of Pretoria with 19 Double Cottages, 12 Single Cottages, 36 Single Flats, 43 Double Flats and a communal hall.
“Sappersglen” was officially opened as a retirement centre for the Sappers of the Natal South Coast with 23 Cottages and a communal hall.
A second Roll of Honour is placed in the casket in the Memorial Hall to honour those who have dies on active service protecting and upholding the ideals of the Republic of South Africa.
With the change of the constitution of the Republic of South Africa, the election of the first fully representative government and the formation of the New South African National Defence Force, the Sappers Foundation recognises the sacrifices made by the non-statutory and the homeland defence forces and votes to allow these military engineers full recognition in the Sappers Association.
We as Sappers can be proud of our Association, as it has survived and prospered for more than fifty years. We should feel a special pride that we have had the guts to admit that we are slowly sinking away due to dwindling membership and rising costs and took the necessary steps to ensure that what was started in the heat of battle would continue and would hold high the memory of the Military Engineer into the 21st Century.
The National Board Meeting, held on 1 November 1997 is hailed as the turning point for the Sappers Association, which had been in decline for a decade. At this meeting the Sappers Association started its transformation to its new form, that of a Foundation for the preservation of Military Engineering Culture, History and Traditions called the “Sappers Foundation”.
We had to accept that certain of the projects of the old Sappers Association would not be carried forward but the Directors pledged themselves to retain as many of these as possible, to preserve the traditions and symbols and to ensure that none of our members are alienated by the change process.
The Sappers Foundation is registered and the control of the Sappers Association and all its Retirement Centres and Projects is transferred to the Board of Directors of the Sappers Foundation.
Due to dwindling membership and the general ageing of the infrastructure, it was decided to close the Sappers Club and sell this portion of the property and buildings into a joint venture development company (Herons Nest) who could raise the funds needed for the rising costs of maintenance and upgrading necessary to be able to run the resort as a Conference Centre and River Lodge.
The decision was taken to separate the Retirement Centres into Section 21 Companies that would be self-sufficient and would ensure the continuation of these long after the last veteran Sapper has passed to higher service as a memorial to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their Country.
A Memorial Trust was formed to preserve the Hall of Remembrance and the Memorial Gardens into perpetuity and a new head office was built for the Sappers Foundation on the Memorial Grounds including a home for the “Sappers Heritage Collection”, overnight accommodation for visiting Sappers, and a general meeting and recreational area.
With the decreasing numbers in the Association and with Sapperspriut no longer being used by Sappers it was decided to sell the property and to use the funds to ensure the continued existence of our Retirement Centre projects.
The Board of Directors decided that the joint venture development company (Herons Nest) was not viable and should be liquidated with the remaining funds donated to the Sappers Memorial Trust.
The remainder Sappersrust, after the sale of the Sappers Club / Herons Nest property, was transferred into the Sappers Memorial Trust to be utilised to supplement the income of the Trust and has been leased on a long-term basis for a sum greater that the current upkeep costs.
We pledge ourselves to ease the burdens and brighten the lives of all our members, as they grow older.